Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: it's not about loud...

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar

Default Re: it's not about loud...

There is a bottom end on a large watt amp that no 15 -30 watter can even approach. Having the pleasure of owning many amps between 12 and 100 watts, nothing can touch the big boys for the huge vibe they present. It goes beyond volume, it is the feel of the amp that is still there when I attenuate. I love all my amps dearly, but the 100s are the biggest, fullest sound that I can get.
    Last edited by kevlar3000; 12-16-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    There is a bottom end on a large watt amp that no 15 -30 watter can even approach. Having the pleasure of owning many amps between 12 and 100 watts, nothing can touch the big boys for the huge vibe they present. It goes beyond volume, it is the feel of the amp that is still there when I attenuate. I love all my amps dearly, but the 100s are the biggest, fullest sound that I can get.
    This is true - they do in fact have more bottom end and a bigger sound than lesser wattage amps, but of course it comes at a price. Amps like to be pushed to give up the goods and I'm pretty sure most audiences don't want to be around a guitar player who's cranking open an 100w tube amp.

Then again, thanks to power scaling and master volumes, todays amps are a lot more versatile and useful than they ever used to be.

WhoFan, you like resurrecting old threads, don't you?
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

I bought into the sub-30w myth a few years ago.

I've since owned four sub 30w amps (15w, 25w, and two 30w) and all four of them sounded like small amps straining their guts and failing miserably to sound like a big amp.

And the issue isn't volume as even the 15w is both **** loud and could be heard easily with a drummer. The issue is headroom as hard driven low watt amps by there nature wind up being compressed and midrange focused with very little bottom end content. This is great if you're a lead guitarist, but as a rhythm player I want a full signal. I want every chord I strike to sound solid and dynamic rather than mushy and compressed.

So, in short as a rhythm player I consider 50w the minimum I'd work with live and 100w the preference. In reality 100w is only slightly louder than 30w, but there is all the difference in the world when it comes to headroom.

But I have one caveat... if I were a lead player I'd buy a 30w, cathode biased, tube rectified EL84 amp. While I prefer the dynamics of a high headroom amp for rhythm playing there is something magical about the single note feel of a good 30w EL84 amp.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Tommyologist

the bottom end is what i miss the most when i'm not using my stack... but at the same time when i use the smaller combos the sound man has full controll of adding bass if needed to my sound

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhoFan View Post
    the bottom end is what i miss the most when i'm not using my stack... but at the same time when i use the smaller combos the sound man has full controll of adding bass if needed to my sound
    I use an attenuator, so even with that in play, the bottom end and overall response still feels like a 100 watter. I use all my amps for gigs, as I like tones in general, the attenuator will not remove the personality of an amp, be it 20 or 100 I am running through it.

Blowthebloodydoorsoffologist Axl H's Avatar

Surely its about loud. Anything below 150watt is for pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl H View Post
    Surely its about loud. Anything below 150watt is for pussies.
    You own a Marshall Mode Four, don't you?
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Blowthebloodydoorsoffologist Axl H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_Chris View Post
    You own a Marshall Mode Four, don't you?
    LOL That POS? Nope a JCM800 2203 modded with KT88s, 150w+, around 170-180w clean.

thucydides

I'm finding that 30 watts is fine for me, these days, anyway. A number of situations only need about 15, or so.

Wasn't always that way...

My Deluxe Reverb on "4" is the perfect sound for me and my guitar.

It's LOUD.

If I played a clean guitar I would go for an amp with 100 watts.

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar

I plan to eventually own a 50W or 100W head, not because of the wattage, but because some of my favourite heads are in that area, as well as the appeal of infinite clean headroom. However my 40W Traynor does the job for all the gigs I've played with it so far, without going past 5. On the other hand, I don't like turning the clean channel past 5 because then it starts to break up. My drive channel I sometimes turn up to 7, cause the extra push on the tubes really opens up the distortion and makes it sound huge, mean and punk.

But there's something more important than wattage for me on amps: separate channel volumes! I love having an amp without a master volume.
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

MrHeavyMetal

Thumbs up Re: it's not about loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Axl H View Post
    LOL That POS? Nope a JCM800 2203 modded with KT88s, 150w+, around 170-180w clean.
    that's insane dude LOL. do you use distortion/overdrive pedals and preamp distortion mostly ?