Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Reviews of the Jazz Humbucker

Default Reviews of the Jazz Humbucker

For Vault Purposes, please post your impressions, including what guitars, amps, and artist/styles work best with this pup. Thanks.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar

Default Re: Reviews of the Jazz Humbucker

From my experience, full sounding, articulated when played clean. Not as impressed when over driven. Get's a bit flabby while trying to chord under gain, but sounds good, almost woody on single notes. FYI, I am playing this in an Agile DC, mahogany body, flame maple cap, set neck through a JCM 601(Svetlana el34/JJ 12ax7) + 1x12 ext cab. Over all it sounds very dark. Played side by side with my buddy's Electra LP loaded with DD's bridge and neck, it really sounded dark in tone.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Ultimate Tone Member

To me, the Jazz sounds great for cleans, but I didn't really dig it for overdriven sounds. Seemed too sterile with the gain cranked. I played it on an alder strat.

I tried one of these in my PRS Cu22. I was hoping to make my guitar sound "more vintage" with warm bass and scooped mids. The idea of an articulate neck pickup sounded nice to me as I like to play both chords and solos on the neck pup and I hate being buried in the mud.

The net result though was dissapointing. My guitar seemed to have a tone that was more "80's ish" than I wanted. It was too clear, and didn't have enough warmth. Even though I could play and be heard in the neck position, the tone sounded artificial to me.

If you have a guitar that is buried in the mud, or really desire absolutly articulate cleans, this pup will really help your tone. Don't be looking for anything PAF out of it, because i certainly couldn't find those no matter what I did.
    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

I use the Jazz neck pickup in my Schecter C-1 Classic (mahogany body and neck), as it comes installed from the factory in that manner. Combined with a JB in the bridge, also installed at the factory, I can easily understand why Seymour says it's his favorite humbucker combination.
    The Jazz smooths out the edginess of the JB when used together for either rhythm or lead playing, and is excellent for rhythm alone with excellent bass frequencies and great depth in the mids with just enough in the highs to be usable for some lead-work. The Jazz/JB pickup combo also comes from the factory in the Classic with the coils split for even more versatility. The Jazz, when played split, can produce very close authentic Strat tones. Excellent for blues.
    If I ever needed a guitar that would cut through any mix, this Schecter loaded up with the Jazz/JB combo definitely can easily fit the bill for any type of music.
    Fender MIA Strat/Antiquity s.c.'s, Fender MIJ 60's Strat w/SSL-1n/APS1m/SSL-1b, Gibson LP Studio w/Jazz/a slightly aged PAF-soundin' road-worn JB,'06 Schecter Corsair semi-hollow w/DD HB101's(same as 59's), Schecter C-1 Classic w/SD Jazz-n/JB-b, a couple of Epi's w/SD's, Fender amps (DRRI and Blues DeVille) and Marshall (DSL2000 50watt and 2x12 cab loaded with V30's)- Effects:TS-9, Vox 847 wah (thanks, John S.!), Fulltone OCD, and an assortment of colors

In the neck it's squeaky clean in mahogany and sharp in alder, it's OK as a humbucker and lovely when split if the guitar is very dark, a little stab of jangle and spit when you don't expect it. Never tried in fenders (I don't like them, simple hey!).

I have a Jazz in the neck position of my guitar (basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard with a Floyd Rose bridge.)

Clean : Very good. Smooth but articulate, with a nice snappy attack. Works great for smooth jazzy/bluesy lead tones and full jazz chords.

Dirty : Not so great. Gets a bit muddy with gain. The snappy attack seems to disappear in the gain somehow.
    With single notes i can get, depending on how much gain i dial in, everything from blues to Allan Holdsworth-style fusion tones, but i could use a stronger attack for shred licks. Chords sound a bit muddy.

For clean tones the Jazz model is awesome, but for overdriven and high gain tones, it doesn't quite cut it.

Clean : 4/5
    Dirty : 3/5
    Overall : 3.5/5

Most over rated PU of all time.

Too bright but the treble enables Duncan and others to recommend it for all guitars and all styles.

It does cut through the mud at the neck position real well and it is very clean but I would never touch it again. Other low output Duncans have much more character and adjust much better to gain than the Jazz.

It's an affordable Jazz'y' PU but not a Jazz PU.

If you want to remain Duncan faithful look at Benedettos.
    Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Lewguitar

For my money, the Jazz is alot like a 59 only with 5% more upper harmonics and chime on top for a more extended high end. The Jazz has maybe 5% less bass but about the same output as a 59. I like the Jazz neck alot and have put them in Les Pauls combined with the JB as a bridge pickup and have enjoyed the Jazz/JB combo in my stock Hamers. If you're a rocker who plays with a semi distorted rock tone all of the time maybe you don't want a neck pickup like the Jazz that will allow you to clean up your neck pickup tone by rolling down the volume of your guitar...but if you're a blues or rock player who likes to play some jazzy rythym or clean accompaniment now and then you might appreciate the Jazz. One thing: the Jazz will rock! It'll overdrive your amp if asked to and do it beautifully with a singing and throaty neck humbucker tone for soloing. Lew
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-14-2004 at 09:33 AM.

Man after reading these reviews i am havin doubts about getting the jazz for the neck spot of my RG?
    I want a crisp clean, articulate tone with NO MUD on the neck and some here say it gets muddy with heavy gain? I want a tone that is almost single coil like but with the power of a humbucker?

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by RG 2570
    Man after reading these reviews i am havin doubts about getting the jazz for the neck spot of my RG?
    I want a crisp clean, articulate tone with NO MUD on the neck and some here say it gets muddy with heavy gain? I want a tone that is almost single coil like but with the power of a humbucker?
    To me, the mud part is beacuse the Jazz is still an alnico 5 pickup and alnico 5 tends to have plenty of bass but also plenty of highs. For a cleaner tone still, try the Seth Lover: it is alnico 2 which has less bass and less "mud".

But even tho the Seth has softer bass than the Jazz, it also has less of those chimey, jangley upper harmonics that the Jazz has.

Regardless, I can get a cleaner, less muddy tone from the Seth Lover than I can from the Jazz.

Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    To me, the mud part is beacuse the Jazz is still an alnico 5 pickup and alnico 5 tends to have plenty of bass but also plenty of highs. For a cleaner tone still, try the Seth Lover: it is alnico 2 which has less bass and less "mud".

But even tho the Seth has softer bass than the Jazz, it also has less of those chimey, jangley upper harmonics that the Jazz has.

Regardless, I can get a cleaner, less muddy tone from the Seth Lover than I can from the Jazz.

Lew
    thanks

Wink Re: Reviews of the Jazz Humbucker

I just recieved a Jazz neck from Black Rose. After years of thinking this would be an ideal solution I finally got one. Well doh! I replaced a Seth with the Jazz, and I'm extremely pleased. I find standard neck humbackers to be too woofy when your amp starts breaking up. I tend to favor the bridge with the tone rolled off for distortion tones. I find the Jazz works very well for my sound. I'm a little suprised that other reviewers tend to dislike the Jazz neck with distortion. I guess we all hear it differently.