Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Pickups (neck and bridge) compliment each other well?

Default Which Pickups (neck and bridge) compliment each other well?

For Vault Purposes, please post your impressions, including what pickups work very well together for a specific purpose.

Illl start it off. Alnico 2 Pro neck and a Custom Custom bridge in a Les Paul. My favorite.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Default Re: Which Pickups (neck and bridge) compliment each other well?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F

Alnico 2 Pro neck and a Custom Custom bridge in a Les Paul. My favorite.
    Totally agree. But were a bit too soft (attack-wise) for eg. LedZep.
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

I find that the matched sets always work well together and the Anty, JP, 59 and Distortion sets that I have tried are very complimentary.

One of my favorites is still the C-5/PGn in a LP. I am also quite fond of the JB/59n and the Dime/59n combos as well.

Ultimate Tone Member

C-5 / '59 ... the '59 gives some nice bass, and the C-5 fills out the sound.
    Jazz / Custom P-90 ... overdrive sounds are pretty weak, but cleans sound great.
    Invader / '59 ... the '59 helps round out the Invaders lack of high end.

the ´59 or Jazz go well with almost any bridge pickup, particularly for players preferring a more "traditional" neck pickup to go with a higher output Bridge.

The JB/Jazz is Seymour´s favorite IIRC, and probably one of the most versatile dual-humbucker setups around, regardless of the guitar it´s in. Sounds great in anything, a great starting point IMO. Clear cleans, warm distortion with lots of harmonics @ the bridge.

For more aggressive styles, I prefer the Custom/JB@neck combo. The Custom kicks harder than the JB, more cutting highs and a fatter, more defined low end, but with similar Harmonics. The JB at the neck is dark, veeery smooth, and sings like a Banshee under high gain. But with splitting going on on both pickups you can get a plethora of tones that will suit almost any style, not only rock.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S.
    I find that the matched sets always work well together.
    I agree. It just always made sense to me to get them like that when I first started swapping pickups. I have these matched sets: '59/'59, Jazz/Jazz, PG/PG, Alnico II Pro/Alnico II Pro. My reason for using a '59 with my Custom/'59 set was that the Custom is basically a beefed up 59. It just made sense for me to pair those two together.

Screaming Demon Bridge, Low set JB in the neck in mahogany/maple + ebony fingerboard. With splits, its dark and clank when you want it. The neck JB split is one of the nicest strat sounds ever to come out of a Les Paul, it took me a long time to get this combo together and I'll never change it.

combo 1: Invader (B) + Full Shred (N):

a contrasting duo whose differences are complementary. the Invader's dark low end is offset by the FS' clarity in the neck. very impressive with loads of drive dialled in.

guitar: Ibanez S540
    amp: Peavey XXL

combo 2: Screamin' Demon (B) + Distortion (N)

the SD is a menace in its own right, very capable of low-end emphasis & smooth shred tones. the Distortion is my attempt to rival the FS as a benchmark for neck clarity; it's more pronounced in the midrange. surprise package: it twangs at lower volumes of a maple fretboard guitar

guitar: Ibanez 1550
    amp: ditto

combo 3: Custom Custom (B) + Alnico II Pro (N)

my recent immaculate pair- for the players among us who wish for a more restrained offering + performance under high gain (when the situation necessitates). very polished midrange for the AIIP & the output balance for these 2 is perfect. very impressive performance clean as well.

guitar: Ibanez SZ320WH
    amp: ditto
    Psychic Horns

For Me, Alnico II neck, '59 bridge, my favorite. Let the amp provide the gain, this is a particularly juicey combo. Warm and round, aggressive enough, and cleans up better than a CC IMO.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Hows this one ,APII N/C5 B, just installed them yesterday,been playin all day,The APII in the neck sounds great,very clean and clear,The C5 rocks,maybe alittle more than I would like it to,(does'nt clean up as much as I would like) but sounds great just the same,and together they sound warm and full,much better than expected.

Mattt

Custom Bridge / Pearly Gates neck.

Distortion Neck and Bridge

... middle position is amazingly balanced but with some mids. Awesome Sabbath Tone!
    Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Custom bridge, i haven't tried any of duncan's neck pickups but i'll go and say '59 for neck.

JB/Jazz just sit together so well dial the neck back to about 7 both p/ups on pure Bluesbreaker tone, out of phase both full on classic Greenie tone thay split really well too add a touch of compresion early Beatles tones. I love 'em !
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
    Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

C-5 bridge an Demon neck .

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead
    Distortion Neck and Bridge

... middle position is amazingly balanced but with some mids. Awesome Sabbath Tone!
    And suprisingly good cleans! Very balanced tone.

Lewguitar

My favorites:

1. Seth neck & Custom Custom bridge
    2. Seth set
    3. Antiquity set
    4. '59 set
    5. Jazz neck & JB

If a guy or gal can't get a good tone out of thier guitar and amp with one of those sets...well, it's probably not the gear's fault.

Generally, I like to use a strong bridge pickup and a weaker neck pickup. That way when I switch to rythym I don't have to turn the guitar's volume control down so far to get a clean, clear tone for chords.

If the two pickups are balanced more closely, like with a 59N & 59B, it's harder for me to get a neck pickup tone that's not muddy if my amp is set up to make the bridge pickup really soar!

I find I have an easier time working with one volume and tone setting on my amp that sound good with both pickups if I stick to the Seth Lover neck & Custom Custom bridge configuration.

Lew

Ultimate Tone Slacker

for a strat with a floyde rose trem. screamon demon bridge and full shred neck. the demon still sounds great with the floyde trem and gets great distortion and the full shred neck is bright on a floyde trem guitar and sounds a lot like a strat when split on cleans but still gets killer distortions when pushed to dirty. they work well togather. for regular strat with vintage trem I realy like set of pearly gates. I use a pearly gates plus for bridge and regular pearly gates neck pickup. bridge gets great gain and distortion thu a rectoverb with vintage 30 celestions and the neck is full, lush- great jazz pickup-without being too thin and the distorted tone is fat for a great blues tone. thats on strats, with a rectoverb thru 2 or 4/12 v30's cabs.

I feel that the C5/59n combo sound perfect together. The 59n is such a great pickup, and the C5 gives the bridge that extra push it needs. Both pickups produce a nice clean sound and compliment each other very well on the middle position. I have this setup in an Epi Les Paul, and I couldn't be happier!
    - Fender Vintage Hot Rod '62 Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups
    - 2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Jimmy Page set