Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Tonight We'll Unveil the SFX-03

Thunderbirdologist Kommerzbassist's Avatar

Default Re: Tonight We'll Unveil the SFX-03

Still, the question of tunelivve has not *really* been answered... how long will they last?

7ender 7anboy.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

the tubes?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire
    It's not emulating anything...it IS tube distortion. It's not made to sound like a Plexi or a Vox or a tweed Fender or anything else, it simply adds 2 channels of pure tube gain to an amp...
    Emphasis is mine. This is what confuses me. These two statements contradict each other. Does this pedal simply use tubes to provide gain, or does the tube saturation occur within the pedal?

Bottom line - will this pedal be effective as an SS amp front end?

Artie

I could see it by passing an amp's preamp and running directly into the FX loop.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    That's half the price of the SFX3 already.
    I must not get your point then. You said you can't get a good OD pedal for less than 2/3 the price of this thing (or about $200) which simply isn't true, they can be had for around half of that. If someone is already happy with the gain from their amp and just want a nice OD, they don't necessarily have to spend $300. I'm sure this pedal sounds good, but it's not the be-all-end-all for everyone.

With the voltage the tubes are running at in it, it's missing one thing to be a full blown pre-amp, and that is a tone stack.

How long will it last? Who knows, it's brand new. Hasn't been around long enough but like anything, taken care of properly it'll last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by FretFire
    If someone is already happy with the gain from their amp and just want a nice OD, they don't necessarily have to spend $300.
    $300 is list price
    "music heals"
    facebook

as for how long it will last I'll say this...it's a solid mutha..weighed a good bit to be honest, Evan said the production models are a little smaller and lighter but it's built like a damn tank!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Quote Originally Posted by FretFire
    I must not get your point then. You said you can't get a good OD pedal for less than 2/3 the price of this thing (or about $200) which simply isn't true, they can be had for around half of that. If someone is already happy with the gain from their amp and just want a nice OD, they don't necessarily have to spend $300. I'm sure this pedal sounds good, but it's not the be-all-end-all for everyone.
    Oh true. I'm just saying that unlike what this person meant it to be, it's not JUST an OD pedal.

No, it's not just another OD pedal. "Just another OD pedal" doesn't draw 270 volts of plate voltage with fully encapsulated toroidal transformers.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp
    No, it's not just another OD pedal. "Just another OD pedal" doesn't draw 270 volts of plate voltage with fully encapsulated toroidal transformers.
    I hope that sounds as good as it looks.
    This space is for rent.

Just on time!

I amstarting to look for OD/disto pedal for the first time in my guitarist life, to go with a small single channel amp, and here it comes... slowly but I am gasing for this one.

It is exactly what I am looking for. Though a bit more expensive.
    2017 PRS SE Custom 24
    2007 MIA Fender Telecaster (The Boss set)
    1996 Gibson Les Paul studio (Mississippi Queen n, The Mule b)
    1995 Epiphone Les Paul classic (Mississippi Queen set)

2012 Martin
    2002 Freshman FA 100SC
    Sae Han SD 51BK

Eganter Tweaker head > Celestion V10 / Neunaber Iconoclast

Lewguitar

I heard this pedal at NAMM demoed by Scott Miller with a Fender Strat with a full size JB bridge humbucker through a blackface Super Reverb.

Sounded very natural and very, very good...great for blues and everything up to but maybe not including heavy metal, which is fine with me! I really appreciated the Twin Tube Classic more natural tone and that Bagful of Angry Bumbee Bees thing is available from a jillion other pedals, so why bother?

When Scott wanted a really saturated tone, Scott was using a Duncan Pickup Booster to push it harder for the more super saturated "metal" type tones, so by itself it didn't seem to be a super distortion inducing pedal.

I didn't get to play it myself or tweak the settings...I just listened.

Like Christian said, the Super Reverb always sounded like a Super Reverb...the TTC didn't turn it into a Marshall or a Boogie.

Seemed to me to very useful for getting a natural overdriven tone at lower volumes and for setting up a lightly overdriven rock rythym tone and then kicking it up a notch or two or three for solos.

Since Scott had a JB in that guitar, I asked him if he could goose the pedal's settings a bit to get the tone Satch gets on "Always With Me, Always With You"...one of my favorite overdriven rock tones on record. The way Satch plays it, it sounds like the notes are just squirting tone out of the speakers!

Although the description of the pedal says "Over 90db of gain...allows ultimate saturation and sustain" I didn't hear ultimate saturation coming from the pedal...just great rock and blues tone.

Anyways, I liked what I heard...although I think it'll appeal to more mature players and guys into blues and rock moreso than guys into super saturated buzz tone.

Lew

I was hoping you got to hear the SFX-03 and I've been waiting on you to comment on it!

The prototype I tried I really liked and Evan said thay have made a few changes...as for the level of gain I ws able to dial in WAY more gain that I would ever use with it! Seemed to work with both my Twin as well as my Sound city...left the tone of the guitar and the amp in tact while adding OD and crunch!

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire
    I was hoping you got to hear the SFX-03 and I've been waiting on you to comment on it!

The prototype I tried I really liked and Evan said thay have made a few changes...as for the level of gain I ws able to dial in WAY more gain that I would ever use with it! Seemed to work with both my Twin as well as my Sound city...left the tone of the guitar and the amp in tact while adding OD and crunch!
    Cool! Like I said, I didn't get to play it or play with the settings and Scott didn't have it set up for a super saturated tone.

He had two Duncan Pickup Boosters in his rig too! One before the TTC and one apprantly after.

What do you think? Needed or not needed?

And: with a humbucker and the TTC can you get the Satriani tone I described?

Lew
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-26-2006 at 03:30 PM.

I don't know that Satch tone...as for the booster I run mine with it but I ran it, I ran it AFTER the SFX-03 as a solo boost...