Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brobucker Reviews

Thumbs up Brobucker Reviews

I'm curious to hear reviews from those who bought and installed the Brobucker.

I really like it, because it seems to bridge the vintage/modern gap really nicely, and I can hear the elements of some of my favorite pickups in it. It's basically a hot vintage A5 pickup that has a bit of A2 cluckiness. It's almost hard to describe because it has a nice natural high end openness, the mids are full of richness, and the low end is dark, yet somewhat tight.
    Sort of like a 59's highs, CC's mids, and Custom 5's lows......but it has the feel under the fingers of a 59 or Seth. Very nice growly BWWWWANNNNGGG through a Marshall w/Les Paul. The notes bloom nicely, with just a hint of compression, but is definitely an articulate and wide open tone.

It might be described as darker than a 59 or Seth, but that's fine with me, because I can keep the tone control full up and hear all the harmonic content.

I paired mine with a nickel covered Jazz Bridge in the neck position in a Gibson LP Gold Top. That guitar had a Custom 5/59 in it for 5 years, and surprisingly, the Brobucker/Jazz B is so impressive, I'm leaving this guitar alone for another 5 years.....very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Default Re: Brobucker Reviews

man i'm psyched to get mine now, if it's dark i'll be happy since the guitar i'm building for it (not a strat style...go figure LOL) will be alder body, maple neck ebony board and it would be nice if it fattens it up. if not, i'll toss it in my les paul and put something else in the other guitar, no big deal.

-Mike

It is quite understandable that the BB isn't that bright. 10K 42AWG wire! That's why we asked for a mismatched coil config with an aged a5! Looks like it worked.

It'll be sometime for me to test mine, at least another 2 more months!

Best,

B

Quote Originally Posted by dr.barlo
    It is quite understandable that the BB isn't that bright. 10K 42AWG wire! That's why we asked for a mismatched coil config with an aged a5! Looks like it worked.

Best,

B
    It'll be next week before mine will make it in my Paul. I'm a little concerned that it will be too dark in my Paul though. Looks like I may have to buy a SG to put it in
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    I'm curious to hear reviews from those who bought and installed the Brobucker.

I really like it, because it seems to bridge the vintage/modern gap really nicely, and I can hear the elements of some of my favorite pickups in it. It's basically a hot vintage A5 pickup that has a bit of A2 cluckiness. It's almost hard to describe because it has a nice natural high end openness, the mids are full of richness, and the low end is dark, yet somewhat tight.
    Sort of like a 59's highs, CC's mids, and Custom 5's lows......but it has the feel under the fingers of a 59 or Seth. Very nice growly BWWWWANNNNGGG through a Marshall w/Les Paul. The notes bloom nicely, with just a hint of compression, but is definitely an articulate and wide open tone.

It might be described as darker than a 59 or Seth, but that's fine with me, because I can keep the tone control full up and hear all the harmonic content.

I paired mine with a nickel covered Jazz Bridge in the neck position in a Gibson LP Gold Top. That guitar had a Custom 5/59 in it for 5 years, and surprisingly, the Brobucker/Jazz B is so impressive, I'm leaving this guitar alone for another 5 years.....very likely.
    Nice review buddy and I trust your ears alot! I'm going to try mine in this SG that has the VPAF pickups in it(That I Like alot)....I'll probably pair it with a Jazz Neck and go back to covers on both? The Jazz is Zebra.....Glad you like it and it sounds alot like the A2 59b/custom Hybrid I Like alot in my Love Rock from your description...I got mine yesterday and it'll be at least a few days before I can install it...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by XSSIVE
    man i'm psyched to get mine now, if it's dark i'll be happy since the guitar i'm building for it (not a strat style...go figure LOL) will be alder body, maple neck ebony board and it would be nice if it fattens it up. if not, i'll toss it in my les paul and put something else in the other guitar, no big deal.

-Mike
    The Brobucker is going to absolutely smoke in a bright guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorMan
    The Brobucker is going to absolutely smoke in a bright guitar.
    I can only imagine what it would sound like in my Kramer then (maple body).

TheArchitect

Quote Originally Posted by dr.barlo

Best,

B
    I'm expecting some Santana-ish tones out of it when I drop into a PRS. I would have expected an aged mag to lose a little high end though

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nightburst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Nice review buddy and I trust your ears alot! I'm going to try mine in this SG that has the VPAF pickups in it(That I Like alot)....I'll probably pair it with a Jazz Neck and go back to covers on both? The Jazz is Zebra.....Glad you like it and it sounds alot like the A2 59b/custom Hybrid I Like alot in my Love Rock from your description...I got mine yesterday and it'll be at least a few days before I can install it...
    I'm looking forward to see how you will compare it to the VHPAF, I have a feeling that these 2 pickups are quite alike.

After playing some time with the pickup I must say that it really rocks!
    It can do anything, it barks and growls when playing rythem and it sings when I play leads. It has a superb bottom end that gives you a nice 'thump/chug'.
    Clean it sounds really good too, sparkly an chimey.
    This pickup is the perfect middle ground, it's really balanced sounding.
    Seymour Duncan's true all-rounder!

I'm really curious about what mr. Duncan himself thinks of this pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburst
    I'm looking forward to see how you will compare it to the VHPAF, I have a feeling that these 2 pickups are quite alike.

It can do anything, it barks and growls when playing rythem and it sings when I play leads. It has a superb bottom end that gives you a nice 'thump/chug'.

Has he even heard it?
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburst

Are you describing the VPAF Hot pickup or the Brobucker? The 59B/Custom A2 Hybrid is like this also...11.5K
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Are you describing the VPAF Hot pickup or the Brobucker?
    Brobucker After all that's what this topic is about And that's why I look forward to see how the BB and VHPAF compare.

obviously, everyone is looking at the Brobucker from their own point of view, which is great because we get a good idea of the pickup in a lot of different situations

I'll probably use it to replace the JB in my Hamer Studio. The current Studios have switched to '59s in the bridge, so I expect the Bro to strike a good balance between the JB and '59B. Also, if the Bro really has a lot of bass, it's less of a problem, but rather a good thing in the Studio, due to the fact that the double cut design has less thump than an LP.

anyway, it may take a while for me to get around to installing the Bro, but I fully expect it to work out great
    "music heals"
    facebook

Quote Originally Posted by gripweed
    Has he even heard it?
    I asume they have a test axe and amp in the custom shop?

Well, first I took off the cover to check out the sweet double creams. I agonized whether to put my Antiquity cover on it or leave the original. I finally kept the original, but I may change that as I love the Antiquity aged covers.

Put it in my 73 LP deluxe (no, it was routed already, LOL) replacing the JB that was in it. Plugged into my 65 Univox U45-B and hit a chord. Woo Hoo! Played some Who, Kiss, lots of Zeppelin, blues...my wife & kids wanted to kill me! For me, it has as perfect a sound as the Seth Lover--my fav along with this brobucker now with the Ants coming in CLOSE second.

The highs are perfect, not shrill with lots of bite. Awesome mids and bass that crunches, not muddy. Nice output, very responsive and great clarity. In my Les Paul this pickup sings and screams.

I love this pickup. Can't wait to put it through my other, higher wattage amps.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

What kind of setup and how close is everyone putting their Brobucker to the strings? I set mine at 1/16" initially but had to back it off (particularly on the low E side). I did that by ear (I'm at work right now, so I'm not sure where my final measurement ended up.)

Yeah, this pickup really is one of the best I've ever heard, if not the best in my LP. For those thinking it'll be too dark....no worries.....fat is a better adjective. There's plenty of highs....nice and clear without being shrill.

On clean amps, it sounds very natural and open with the right kind of midrange character that breaks up nicely. Similar to a 59, and not honky like a JB or CC. It's mids are more like a Seth.

For those worrying if it'll do metal.....I put it through it's paces fom crystal clean to plexi to full-on Metallica/Pantera type tone. The bottom end is pretty tight, and it has a real early 80's metal tone similar to old Metallica, Sabbath, & AC/DC. On extreme gain like Pantera/Slayer the low notes are percussive, but you can hear the fundamental note loud and clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

That's what I was lookin' for right there, GJ (especially the Sabbath and AC/DC part). Good to know. That means it'll cover everything else in between. You've said enough. I can tell from what you've said and others so far that this is one very diverse pickup. Considering that it came to be from a very diverse bunch, it should be.

This is what I wrote in the "Brobucker comes to life" thread. But apparently it is more appropriate here. Sorry for the double post if you've read it already.

My impression of the Brobucker:

I installed it into my Charvel 750xl sans cover, replacing a 59b, paired with a 59n. 1st impression: yeah, this thing is pretty dark. It's more articulate than the 59 that was in there, but it seems kind of boomy as well. I didn't really hear much of a difference. So I went about adjusting the height and the individual pole pieces. 2nd impression: Hot crap on a stick. I'm glad I got this thing. It is very articulate and harmonics jump out of it like crazy. For being a moderately low output humbucker, pinch harmonics are ridiculously easy to coax. The highs are clear without being overly bright and shrill. And it has plenty of mids to satisfy even my mid-loving self. I find that I can get equally good rhythm and lead tones from this pickup, and that's a rare thing for me to do. I could easily install this in a single humbucker guitar and never miss the neck pickup. Good job on the Brobucker. It's a keeper.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorMan
    What kind of setup and how close is everyone putting their Brobucker to the strings? I set mine at 1/16" initially but had to back it off (particularly on the low E side). I did that by ear (I'm at work right now, so I'm not sure where my final measurement ended up.)
    I started mine at 1/8" and moved it a bit closer while putting it through the amp to get it just right. I haven't touched the pole pieces yet. Don't know if I will.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.