Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Brobucker Reviews

Tone Member

Default Re: Brobucker Reviews

Yeah you can get one through the Custom Shop. Cost I'm not sure of, but I believe most custom shop pups run in the $140ish range.

Erlend_G

Quote Originally Posted by Truant
    I believe most custom shop pups run in the $140ish range.
    That's not much... a standard JB costs 300 USD over here....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erlend_G
    That's not much... a standard JB costs 300 USD over here....!!!
    Since you can order directly from the CS you won't have to pay as many duties and you don't have to deal with a markup for profit with someone selling them to you as well.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Played my Brobucker loaded Epi LP through my Marshall this weekend. I have one thing to say about it (with an emoticon).........

Tone Member

omg, I'd LOVE to hear it through the marshall.

I finally put mine in my custom. The difference was night and day between the weak stock, heh. I almost immediately put some crunch on her and laid into some AC/DC, I just couldn't resist. BUT, after I calmed down a little, I started noodling around on the clean channel and was absolutely amazed at how nice and defined the cleans were. I couldn't really get crazy experimenting as it was late, and I didn't want the cops coming by to say, "Hi!" so I'll have to go nuts tomorrow afternoon before the neighborhood gets home! mwahaha

I have to say, I really like this pup But my custom is now a bastard as she has gold hardware, and a nickel bridge pup, haha. I plan on replacing it with a gold cover when I get the cash for stage 2 (neck pickup and rewire for coil splits).

Well, I put it in my Flying V today, but didn´t get as much out of it as I wanted, yet have zero verdict. "Wha? Has he been smoking too much?" you may ask... the story follows.

I removed the ´59 and C-9 from my flying V, and installed a cover on the ´59 and the brobucker went in at the Bridge (Tremspaced, the guitar has a Kahler Stud Mount trem). The installation went smoothly as expected, so I restrung the axe and plugged in.

First off I have to say that this guitar was a real PITA to find a bridge pickup for in the first place... The the JB was ok, the Custom was ultrathin as was the Distortion, Dirty Fingers were WAAY too fat, Invader was also wierdly thin, the ´59 way a huge thumping bass machine and the A2P was practically the same with even less high end definition... just totally whack behavior, the Custom SHOULD have been abso****inlutely magnifique from the JB experience. The CC was surprisingly the best of all production PUs (it Eventually became the C-9 which is still perfect for that axe I think). But at least the ´59 at the neck was an immediate bullseye.

Tonally it was actually very good, quite well defined.... But interestingly enough, it sounded almost EXACTLY like the ´59 at the neck, but with a huge drop in output that I couldn´t get balanced out to less than "medium". Very strange, and not quite what I expected... but I was not necessarily unhappy with what I heard.

And then the G string claw of the Kahler broke after 22 years of tension... total time invested: 1 hour. Total playing time: 5 minutes

SOOO, what will happen is the C-9 is going back in, the cover is coming off the ´59 again, and I´ll replace the claw.

The Brobucker will be returned to it´s temporary home in it´s box, and will find a new home in the Singlehum BC Rich blank that Moose is selling (possibly together with an EMG PA-2 for more output in reserve). I think that that setup will be better suited tonally to the pickup, and will post a proper review at that time.

But so far I like it... just can´t tell you how much or what I like about it yet
    Last edited by Zerberus; 03-29-2006 at 01:28 PM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Okay, I'm going to email MJ before the end of the week and get her to wind me one. I've been gone from this forum for some time (10 months or so) and I come back to find my dream pickup has finally be made. Incredible!

She'll go in my LP with a Jazz or Seth. I'm pumped!

Nathan
    Formerly "Raven LP"

Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
    Splawn 212 Vertical Cab with Eminence Governors
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    '95 Gibson LP Standard (Custom Shop S-Deco-5 11.5k / Jazz)
    PRS Swamp Ash Special (?? / ?? / ??)
    '04 Fender American Fat Strat (stock, for now...)

Quote Originally Posted by SemperRhythm
    Okay, I'm going to email MJ before the end of the week and get her to wind me one. I've been gone from this forum for some time (10 months or so) and I come back to find my dream pickup has finally be made. Incredible!

She'll go in my LP with a Jazz or Seth. I'm pumped!

Nathan
    It's very much an Alnico 5 sound, so I'd recommend the Jazz neck. I paired mine with a Jazz bridge in the neck, and I think it's the best I've heard a Les Paul sound. I'm so glad it was decided to use a 4 lead cable, because my LP is wired w/pullup tonepots, so the Brobucker/Jazz B can be split. A split Jazz bridge turned out to yield a great single coil neck sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    It's very much an Alnico 5 sound, so I'd recommend the Jazz neck. I paired mine with a Jazz bridge in the neck, and I think it's the best I've heard a Les Paul sound. I'm so glad it was decided to use a 4 lead cable, because my LP is wired w/pullup tonepots, so the Brobucker/Jazz B can be split. A split Jazz bridge turned out to yield a great single coil neck sound.
    That is the combo that I currently have in my Paul, and it is a very good combo. I'm not sure I think it is the best combo for my tastes though. The '59 works best for me and my style in that guitar. My bandmates told me that too -- unprompted. It really gets close to that Clapton Bluesbreakers sound IMHO, and that is a tone I really love.

The Brobucker stays, at least for now. I'm thinking of buying an SG to put it in . I think it would kill in an SG (Angus my man!)
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

It's surprising how little love the 59 bridge and neck get on this forum.
    Everyone says the neck is boomy and the bridge is a tad weak, but when you hear them in a good guitar, in a band mix, the 59's are hard to beat.

I'd say that the 59B is closest to the Clapton Bluesbreakers sound, while the Brobucker really reminds me of Angus Young. It's got that mighty AC/DC BWANG to it, when you hit a chord. Stratdeluxer is using his Brobucker in an SG, and I'm sure it's a great match.

Does anyone have a list of all the specs? I'm trying to remember if it was lightly potted or potted just like all other humbuckers. ???? Anyone?
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-10-2006 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    I'm trying to remember if it was lightly potted or potted just like all other humbuckers?
    lightly potted
    "music heals"
    facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    lightly potted
    I figured it had to be. With high gain, I get some squeal out of but nothing that can't be dealt with. Every time I play my LP I fall in love more and more with this pickup. It sounds so perfect in that guitar. Through the Marshall it's just awesome. I could play all day and never get tired of the tone.

Hopefully I'm gonna have a guit to put mine in in the next few days....

we'll see....
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

I've been using the trembucker spaced one of mine in my walnut fat strat for more than 2 weeks now.

It is definitely one of the BEST buckers I have ever heard.

I do not think there are any options that the Duncan regular line comes close.

It is a PAF, but thicker. Is not a very hot pickup. It has a lot of highs, yet is not nasty like some of the hot a5 PAF clones I've come across. It is clear has lotsa harmonics, but at the same time it is not thin, very solid.

This bucker might be a little too thick and solid for a LP than already has a thick tone. But for a bright/thin one it definitely is the cure.

Hence, I also agree with the above observations that it would excellent for a SG bridge spot which generally sounds thin and too bright.

This bucker has the same basic features that Tim White's bridge buckers have, it is a little more solid, more thick, and with more bass. But it's not like custom 5 or custom custom which in my opinion have too much bass, and are far less clear than the brobucker.

I am really glad that I've got two of them!

B
    Last edited by dr.barlo; 04-12-2006 at 04:34 PM.

One additional note:

On my fat walnut strat I had a PG+ measuring 8.75K. With it, this guitar of mine sounded great, and had a distinct sound. Throaty, quite heavy and pronounced uppermids. I loved the sound.

But with the Brobucker, them uppermids are washed off a little bit, I got more textured lowermids (which is a very cool thing), and overall a more solid tone. The pickup change did alter the tone of the guitar, and now its better. It still has that throaty uppermid tone but not that emphasized. Perfect ACDC tone, delivered right on spot.

And it splits very good, indeed the best bucker I have seen to deliver a very genuine single coil tone while not ruining the HB side (sure x2n gives a very convincing single coil tone, but I don't care about its full HB mode). It sure has a very good split bridge and middle single coil tone.

B