Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The mismatched coils patent...

Default The mismatched coils patent...

It doesn't apply to the types of polepieces I take it? Since there is the Screaming Deamon already.
    Then could SD develop pickups with a blade on a coil, and polepieces on the other? Even with the same wire and number of turns, it'd still be pretty special and different I believe.

Default Re: The mismatched coils patent...

AFAIK the patent refers specifically to the electrical properties of the coil and not the type and design of poles.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    a blade on a coil, and polepieces on the other? .
    I think DiMarzio already has a pup like this...Drop Sonic or suttin?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB
    I think DiMarzio already has a pup like this...Drop Sonic or suttin?
    Nokie Edwards StratHB Duo

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

Duncan already has a pickup with one blade coil and one slug coil, is the "Nokie Edwards StratHB Duo" from the Custom shop and MJ could wind you just about anything you wanted with one blade coil and one screw or slug or allen or...whatever coil.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

DAMN! Erik is quicker than I am!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Hmm..maybe thats what I'm thinking about then..maybe not a DiMarzio...
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire
    DAMN! Erik is quicker than I am!
    Bwahahahahaha!!! Just this once though.

Jeff: See, you're not so...umm, forgetting....after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    Bwahahahahaha!!! Just this once though.

Jeff: See, you're not so...umm, forgetting....after all.

I hear ya!

I like cheese

I think what he's talking about is how the Dimarzio Drop Sonic and Megadrive also include the patent for mismatched winds/wire gauge, common among all the other patent protected designs regardless of whether the pole configuration is matched. So in other words, you don't infringe on Dimarzio's patent by using matched coils, but use the blade/pole design anyway. It's an okay idea I guess. That Nokie Edwards thing looks like half of a Stag Mag, where the poles are the magnets, not magnetized from a base magnet. Right there you have something unique.

Hey how about doing more with the Stag Mag, like one APS2 + one SSL6? Maybe that would infringe on the Dimarzio patent, but it would probably be a great pickup.

Ultimate Tone Slacker sufferinrewind's Avatar

DiMarzio has TWO pickups like that, actually.

The D Sonic and the MegaDrive.

Edit: Damn. I'm slow, too.

muenster is my fave

and monterey jack...

where am I?

muenster is my fave

and monterey jack...

where am I?
    Cheese forum?

where am I?
    In space.

I thought mismatched coils referred to each coil having a different number of turns of wire, but I could be mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by FretFire
    I thought mismatched coils referred to each coil having a different number of turns of wire, but I could be mistaken...
    Ya, it does. But he's talking about mismatching the polepieces, too, like in the Screamin' Demon, or in DiMarzio's Drop Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by FretFire
    That's exactly what it is. The term is being used here loosely and in a different sense (incorrectly too), blade/screw together or blade/slug together.

That is incorrect usage for it though because a majority of humbuckers are slug/screw. The coil windings may/may not be mismatched.

If the term applied to pole-pieces, then almost all humbuckers would be classified as having "mismatched coils".
    Last edited by ErikH; 03-09-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks everyone. I have a Megadrive and I LOVE it and I thought that since SD are now a bit limited in their design possibilities, mismatched polepieces could be a good idea for new products.

There are a lot of ways to mismatch coils, though. You can have one dramatically scatterwound with less tension, and one wound perfectly and tightly. You can have a tall thin coil plus a short one. I think Duncan is missing the boat when it comes to this Dimarzio patent. They're not working around it. They're just working within it, sneaking out some custom shop models here and there. What about a humbucker sized pickup that combined a Phat Cat coil with a Hot Rails coil? There's plenty of room.

I'm not sure what Dimarzio's patent covers. It's either different resisitance readings (turns) or different gauge wire altogether, or it's both. I think I heard that it's both. But that still doesn't stop Duncan from using the same turns/gauge with one taller blade coil and one shorter PAF coil.

And yes, they should hire me, and every other armchair quarterback out there. For crying out loud they're an incredibly successful pickup company! I don't think they need my help. Oooh but wait, the last time they listened to the forum, we got the Brobucker and the Custom 5. Maybe there's something to this.....