esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar

Default Re: Cyber Jam Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly_D
    My God, listening to all the solos, it's somewhat obvious that my recorded tone lacks a little... it sounds thin... lacks a lot of presence. It would be a good thing to know how many people used a digital device for recording... at least now I know my setting stinks, it's a good starting point

TwilightOdyssey, your solo blew me away! I'm not the biggest fan of super fast playing, mainly because it's sometimes not very melodic, but your are fast AND melodic. Great work bro. You rule!
    Hey, thanx, Sly .. I always try to play to the song. I lot of shred guys don't do that, I agree ... I'm more of a fan of trying to say something with the solo, even if it's only 18 seconds long, like in this case. Thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

My clip was recorded using my Wayne Rock Legend: alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, JB pickup in the bridge. The guitar was going into a Roland VG88, then into my Yamaha AW16G. The setting on the VG88 was designed by me for a real 80's style lead sound. Strings are DR Pure Blues 10's and pick is a Fender Premium Celluloid Heavy. Cables are DiMarzio.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

Lee added the UK to our world jam! with some very nice chopage and melody. Thanks for your input Lee

Damn...I need to get some software!! What do you say to posting a new backing track every week/month for kicks? Maybe by then I'll have some $$$!!

Very cool thread, don't expect this one to die off soon.

Don't worry, Guitarist. I took part only to realize that my tone suck fat donkey d*ck... so I'm at the same point, I need to find something to get better recording tone (silent recording... of course I can buy a Shure and the problem is solved... but not at midnight). Maybe Tech21, Korg, Vox? Don't know yet... all I know is I don't have the cash.

Great idea though. This should be done on a regular basis. Maybe Stevo don't think it's a good idea , he did all the dirty work.

By the way, Stevo. Great initiative... great playing also. We have a great time doing this. So it's your turn bro

The new Guitar Tracks has amp modeling built into it so that could save you some headaches for late night recording.

The T-Files-ologist Skullkrusher's Avatar

My tone was crap to guys, as if you couldnt tell. My amp is at my friends house, so I had to use an old zoom pedal to record with. Better than nothing though.

Yeah, you're right Wattage, a software solution may be economical for the time being... I also realized that I could have beefed up my tone a bit with the built-in EQ of Cool Edit Pro... if there's a next time, we'll all sound better... hopefully

Sly D thanks man And don't be so hard on yourself. Your tone and playing are very good.. like it a lot

VERY COOL guys..... Really like how everyone has their own sound...

kudos to you Stevo for being the brains of the outfit and getting something like this started - it would be cool if this becomes a regular thing - I won't be able to contribute until august or september when I move into the new pad and get set up for real. sounds good so far ....

Unseen

Talking Re: Cyber Jam Anyone?

I'm off to work in a few moments...hope to get back with a little clip or two

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    Cool. So far we have USA, Canada, Italy, Mars and I just got a clip from the UK Spain would be nice in the mix.
    Hey Stevo , am I the guy from Mars ??

If not , then you can add France in your country list !

BTW , I really like this song , kudos to you Steve !
    Pickups used :
    Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
    PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
    PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
    PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
    PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
    PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
    PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
    PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
    PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
    Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
    Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
    SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
    My tone was crap to guys, as if you couldnt tell. My amp is at my friends house, so I had to use an old zoom pedal to record with. Better than nothing though.

i actually thought that that tone was really cool......
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Damn...I need to get some software!! What do you say to posting a new backing track every week/month for kicks? Maybe by then I'll have some $$$!!

Very cool thread, don't expect this one to die off soon.
    I like the idea of a frequent (monthly) tune !! Great idea Guitarist.

About the software, you can find some very cheap ones (cubasis....) almost for free.
    That's enough for the one track job. The mike (SM57 or similar) will be more expensive than the soft !

Long live cyber jam !
    Last edited by captain cavman; 06-01-2004 at 05:17 AM.
    Pickups used :
    Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Thanks for the chance to participate, Stevo.

Like everyone else, I've realised that compressing the format for streaming, really takes the tone out of the guitar - so anyone who hasn't done theirs yet - make your tone fat as it will get thinned down quite a lot.

Good fun though. I haven't played that sort of stuff in years.

Not the easiest progession to play to. Did anyone else find that? (major in middle and end).

Lee
    Right Lee, I also noted that my tone was weak on the MP3 track compared to the WAV one (uncompressed).

About the progression , I find I'm out of pace during my solo . I didn't listen that much before playing and just made 2 takes. I kept the first one but not sure I made the right choice.

BTW who cares, it's Rock'n'roll so just grab your guitar and crank it up !!!
    Pickups used :

When you convert to MP3 use the highest bitrate you can, it makes a big difference. I use MusicMatch to convert my wav files and it works really well, it's free too. I used 192k bitrate but for more serious stuff I'll use 320k. It'll definitely squash your sound though, every once in a while you get lucky and it is just the right amount of compression.

Also if you've never done one of Stevo's cyberjams he always has a little hook in there it seems, if you just wailed out on a minor pentatonic you missed a real cool little jump in there.
    Last edited by Wattage; 06-01-2004 at 07:19 AM.

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage
    Also if you've never done one of Stevo's cyberjams he always has a little hook in there it seems, if you just wailed out on a minor pentatonic you missed a real cool little jump in there.
    MP3 is convenient, but such a sonic compromise. I feel sorry for kids today who only know about mp3, b/c it really sounds inferior. Great for shooting sound across cyber space, tho!

Yeah, the jump in the middle of the riff is quite cool, and shows how much can be done in 18 seconds! Steveo did a great job with the arrangement. It's compact and gets the job done. My solo is the 3rd pass through the arrangement, so there was very little conscious thinking involved; I just followed the arrangement. It's basically divided into 4 sections: starts of in Am pentatonic; the fast run is B Locrian, but it ends on C, the tapping is A Natural Minor; then I went up to Em Pentatonic/E Phrygian for the fast, doubled run; the solo ends in Am Pentatonic again, but at the 15th fret ... and NO, I didn't consciously think about the modes and stuff while I was jamming on it, just following what I thought was a nice, lyrical flow ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

Oww my brain hurts!!!

Nice job detailing that TO.

I have done a few of these jams and the others were a little simpler - blues and a couple of basic tunes that did not change keys. Here, I tried to get an old Aerosmith vibe, that ends on a major chord like a surf tune.. hehe I figured it might be a little tricky

Wattage makes a good point. The higher bit rate on the mp3, the better it should sound. It has to be converted to .wav and then mixed in to the song. Then the song is compressed, mixed down to 24 bit audio wav file, and converted back to 192kbps mp3 for the Internet. When the tune is finished I can make a 320kbps copy and upload it so you guys can get the best quality possible from my audio host.

In the end, it's the group effort that has made this a lot of fun.. lots of nice playing too
    I think that the rythm track is a bit slippery to play to, so I really appreciate the "just do it" attitude that you guys have here