Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What pickups did Vinnie Moore use on Mind's Eye?

Default Re: What pickups did Vinnie Moore use on Mind's Eye?

As usual, I only half-@$$ know what I am talking about. I got the pickups wrong, but the amp/s right.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by taphappy View Post
    It all started when i discovered Yngwie in a Guitar World about three years ago and I've been on a shred craze ever since. Last week I got a $50 gift card(graduation present) to Tower Records and bought Mind's Eye and Edge of insanity. I trying to figure out why people hate Shrapnel artists .
    Ahhhh, there is hope for the youth of today! Feels good every time I hear this. EDIT: Errrrr, I guess I should have said Ahhhh, the youth of 11 years ago!!!

I was a little younger than you in the late '80s when I started playing, and metal/shred was everywhere. The insanity probably peaked around '91, then a little fellow named Kurt Cobain appeared in '92 and slaughtered the entire metal genre almost overnight! I liked some of the better "alternative" bands, but wasn't sad to see them plummet into the abyss only ~6 years later under the weight of their own bloated pretense. Where are those former "A-level" MTV alternabands now??!!

The thing I resented most was the uppity Alterna-wankers who declared that it was no longer "cool" to play guitar solos, or even know how to play, or take a shower. Those fools looked very silly a few years later when it became obvious to everyone they had run out of ideas and were already getting long in the tooth. There was nothing else captivating about their "art", so they themselves disappeared almost overnight. Then the likes of the Boy Bands and the Wappers followed in their wake, for an even darker era of horror until metal was finally reborn.

Much of the '90s were dark times to be a technical player indeed. And an absolutely wretched era for the formerly great metal bands of the '80s. I never wavered in what I liked (you could buy metal gear CHEEEEP!!), although I did expand into other ideas at that time. In the end, I always come back to my first love, which is '70s/80s influenced hard rock/metal. Rock has always been about excess, and some people got carried with it and forgot about being "musicians", but man the best stuff was fun, and still is fun and still alive. Carry on!

You should check out Al di Meola. He came around starting in the '70s and influenced the likes of Yngwie and others. Al is my favorite steel string acoustic player. He can hold his own with anyone!

And before he was a forgetful elderly reality star and who picks up dog poop on camera, Ozzy was a killer in the '80s. Get all of his albums with Randy Rhoads and Jake E. Lee, which were recorded in his prime.
    Last edited by MkIII Renegade; 01-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
    Marshall JVM410H
    Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
    Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
    Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
    Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone

Who hates Shrapnel artists? I have never heard anyone say that and if they did i would be right onto them with retaliation.

Damn..It's been along time since I heard someone Mention "Minds Eye"..Great Album..Got it right when it came out and still an All Time Favorite..Good to see Him stop by too..

I know I don't post much if ever but I saw Minds Eye and about sh**..ha,ha..I had to say something..Just an Incredible Album. but anyway, Im always here soaking in the wealth of knowledge of this Forum and truly appreciate it..and Ya, Vinnie Moore has always been a Favorite..Rock on Buddy..!!..
    Last edited by Bear R.-; 01-25-2017 at 06:25 AM.

I still listen to Mind's Eye and Time Odyssey. Vinnie is an amazing player- sort of a metal version of DiMeola. I can hear how close their tones are. BTW, the last person ever to appear in Mike Varney's Spotlight column? That would be me.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I got recommended this a few months ago; amazing, this is the arête of shred to me, just ROCK.

...That said, I also appreciate a lot of the "alternative/grunge" bands from the period when they existed; some of them had great guitar players/solos (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr. , somewhat Soundgarden/STP etc.) We did lose something when technical guitar playing "went away," unfortunately. But it's still an influence...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone

All his albums are good.

Mojo's Minions

Always sort of dismissed him back in the day as the typical Varney shredder.

Finally saw him play a few years ago. Totally blown away. Much more musical than I expected. Liked it a lot.

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Since the last time this thread was active...I may have spent some time wandering around the Dean Factory with Mr. Moore...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I still listen to Mind's Eye and Time Odyssey. Vinnie is an amazing player- sort of a metal version of DiMeola. I can hear how close their tones are. BTW, the last person ever to appear in Mike Varney's Spotlight column? That would be me.
    Seriously Dave? You killed Varney's Spotlight?

What issue - gotta see if I have it. If I do I want an autograph!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Oh yeah! I killed it! Maybe 2007 or so? I have no idea. It is around here somewhere.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Seriously Dave? You killed Varney's Spotlight?

What issue - gotta see if I have it. If I do I want an autograph!!!!
    And don't forget a glossy promo headshot. Bonus if he gives a guitar pick! I want one too!
    Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
    Marshall JVM410H
    Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
    Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
    Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
    Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Necrobump, but from Michael Bean, who played bass on "Time Odyssey", here's what Vinnie used in-studio:

"Yes I remember that Vinnie was playing his Ibanez with the paint splatter finish, the one one the cover of that guitar mag posted earlier. He had Laney amps and a Marshall head that he picked up from his former guitar teacher Nick Bucci. I don't know if it was Vinnie's Marshall or Nick's. "

HTH,
    Jeff