Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To all my Bros!

Here's to what Ale's ya! Arkitkt's Avatar

Default Re: To all my Bros!

Quote Originally Posted by bungalowbill
    A lot of great suggestions......stevie_bees idea is really cool as is the podcast thing. As far as the religious threads, I just stay out of them...no use in fighting amongst ourselves on so subjective of a topic.

Dunno, I think we should be (and - for the most part - are) able to discuss even controversial topics without getting into "real fights". Some of the guys I had the most heated discussions with "pre-political-ban" I now consider friends.

+1 on the podcast idea
    +1 on the "20 questions" idea

Toadily Stratologist Guitar Toad's Avatar

One of the other forums has tablature and other music writing features. Having that stuff here would be cool.
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

As many cool ideas as i see here i must say this is already the coolest forum i have seen yet and the only one i am regularly on. If you want improve it go for it but i just wanted to say that the user group forum is awesome. I have given advice and sought advice here and it usally bears good fruit. Plus there is a diversity of style and tastes here and that truly makes it more interesting.
    Guitars:EJ Strat, PRS SE Bernie Marsden (with Bare Knuckle Mules), PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd (with Joe Satriani set) PRS SE Zach Myers (Totally Customized for me with Dimarzio Air Classics),Carvin CS6, Gretsch 5422, Taylor 612 ce. Amp:Limited Edition Blues Junior (W/ Eminence Canibis-Rex Speaker ). Effects: Fulltone Full-drive Mosfet 2, Strymon Timeline, TC Electronic Vortex Flanger, Golden Cello Distortion Pedal.

"I am not ashamed of the good news of JESUS CHRIST"
    CHRIST

I dig the music reviews section, and the tip-a-week idea.

I think it would be cool to have a section on gear reviews, and/or a section with tutorials and helpful information. For instance, people could submit information about tubes--how they work, why they work, different types, etc. Just random writeups and questions on how-tos and general information. It could range from Compression and expansion to the basics of electronics.

It takes a lot of time to go from beginner to intermediate and a lot more time to go from intermediate to veteran/expert. Maybe this could expediate the process a little?

P.S. The Admins and users alike have done a lot to make everyone feel at home here--I know I do.

There are some really great ideas in here and I expect to see many more. You guys really seem to have a finger on where the internet is going and where this site needs to go in order to keep up with the times.

Podcasts are a great idea, video lessons would be great and the tab/script ideas are well worth looking into. The thing is though that this is our site as much as it is Seymours. We have to do the work if we want to reap the rewards. I don't want to make more work for the folks at SD and I am not about to ask for funding or support. While I do know that Evan steps up when something is the right thing to do, I don't want to go there yet.

IT/video/audio guys, it's time to step up. If we want to do some of these things I'll need support. The lessons/tip of the week thing will need to be written and I can do a few but I'll want submissions from the members as well. Please realize that your submissions may not be used and that they very well may be edited but all submissions will be credited. Best tip of the week over a quarter just might win a prize and the members could vote for the most helpful or original pointer.

I'll have to think about the Tips and Clips room and see if it needs to be split up or re-organized. If we want to seperate the recording ideas from tutorials and reviews that might be possible but it needs to be concise. We don't need 20 rooms to get this done and the more simple and well thought out these changes are the better.

I'm open to suggestions so keep it coming. There are some great ideas here and I see that Scott F. has signed on to some of this so I know we can get it done.

This place is going to get very cool, very fast.

Thank you,

Robert Sherman

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker
    Dangerous threads should be locked (instead of deleted) so that we all can be held accountable for what we have said. Members who choose to offend and abuse should be seen.
    I understand what you mean here, but on the other hand, wounds need to heal. I don't mind a big ole scab on my knee to remind me that I should've worn knee pads when riding my bike . . . but I don't want it there forever.

How do threads get vaulted? A while ago I did a pages long thread with pretty much everything there is to know about Floyd Roses, everyone wanted it vaulted but no one did anything for it (not to be conceited), while I also feel it's full of useful information (yeah yeah I'm so modest). Anyway...When people feel a thread should be vaulted, can we use the report function to an admin if we desire this thread to be vaulted?

Also, the bulk pickup idea seems great. The Brobucker was a lot of work, but now that MJ, Evan and the admins have been through that already, it may be way easier. There was a lot of talks about more rails pickups, about an overwound FullShred for instance. It'd also be good for SD as they can gauge another market a little closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    How do threads get vaulted? A while ago I did a pages long thread with pretty much everything there is to know about Floyd Roses, everyone wanted it vaulted but no one did anything for it (not to be conceited), while I also feel it's full of useful information (yeah yeah I'm so modest). Anyway...When people feel a thread should be vaulted, can we use the report function to an admin if we desire this thread to be vaulted?
    +1 on this. I had a thread a while back in the pickup lounge that had numerous vault requests and it has fallen down several pages.

How about a sticky post from Seymour once in a while? Maybe he could give us a short blurb on what's happening with the company, new products etc. I know it may be hard to saddle him to do something like that, but people do like to hear from him

Boogeyman of Tone

I think the album reviews section could be a good idea.

Maybe encouraging member lessons? Members could nominate themselves to write a weekly lesson (different member each week or something like that), write it out in powertab and provide the file, maybe even upload a video to youtube.com or something?
    My clips

Quote Originally Posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

A live chat area would be nice, with separate rooms / channels. IRC is a free chat protocol to use, and there are java-based clients and flash-based clients already. Just some "official" area, like with a lobby (general area) and then one room per the normal forum areas. Please, I'd rather not have some yahoo or msn chat room, I'd rather it be hosted here. So you'd have the pickups area, off-topic area, guitar shop, amp shop, etc channels / rooms.

Also, too bad we can't have like a "live jam room". Some day when I get rich I guess lol. But seriously, it would be cool. Like chat but instead of voice, plug in guitar! Might be noisy in there, but it would be cool I think.

Also, you could do one of those "ugly mug" image galleries. Basically it's like having your own photo album and you can upload images to it, like a picture of you playing guitar, etc... There's an example here.
    My Music Page
    Quote Originally Posted by vinterland
    I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
    Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Godfather of Unholy Metal Distortion Luís's Avatar
    I'm at you forum, un-tarding your system!

We had a chat feature. Didn't work out. Forums are very different from chats. Here we can just read calmly and post away at our own rate.

A chat would be nice to remove some doubts on some things. Shoot a bro a pm, set up a private room, join, discuss some topic and everyone is happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by threechordcharlie and ratherdashing
    TCC:What happened to LSP?
    RD:A question friends and school guidance counselors have been asking for years.

Cheers to all the brothers!

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    I like the idea of Forum-designed pickups, being bought in bulk at a discount, like the Brobucker project. I think it's a win/win situation, because SD makes money off a large order, we get a new dream pickup made, and SD gets ideas for new pickups, based on our feedback.

Since the Brobucker turned out to be a success, I'd suggest another order of 100-200......only this time, we could make a different one like a Custom/59 hybrid, wound to the optimum numbers, with the perfect magnet?
    Yup, great idea!

Pierre, do a search and find the thread. I'll be happy to vault it for you.

Next time just PM me and I'll take care of it. I have a problem vaulting my own threads so I understand that you don't want to break your own arm patting yourself on the back.

It's all good.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...floyd+tutorial there it is. I'll see if you deeem it vault worthy. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees
    Maybe a 20 questions to forum members. Each week, a forum member is selected and asked 20 questions by other members. Get to find out a little bit more about each other, and maybe have a little fun. Questions could range from things like your favourite band etc to what's your favourite pastry or someting...
    Just a thought.
    Very cool, I like this idea. I see this forum as a "tight knit group" as it is, I think this could go a long way to moving that along even more.

Pierre, you are now vault worthy!

Just ask guys, we'll git'er done!

heymcz

It would be nice to have a pickup FAQ here that represents more of the collective hard-earned knowledge of the forum, f'rinstance, I've answered the question about the tonal differences between Duncan Designed HB-103s and the actual SH-6 Distortion in a Schecter C1+, oh, I don't know, three or four times. And I haven't been here all that long.

+1 on more clips, organized by pickup type...and then organized by guitar wood! Like:

1. SH-1/TB-1 The '59 model, bridge
    A. In mahogany guitars
    B. In ash guitars
    C. In maple-capped guitars

2. SH-6/TB-6 The Duncan Distortion, bridge
    A. In mahogany guitars
    B. In ash guitars
    C. In maple-capped guitars

...and so on, so on, for all possible woods and all Duncan's pickups....

Just my two cents.

Never leta thread stay on 0, if you dont know the answer maybe you could suggest someone that could. To new guys like myself theres nothing like having someone answer your thread weather they know or not.