Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plexi "sound clip" - VHoholic

Smile Plexi "sound clip" - VHoholic

Here's a clip of my Marshall Plexi. I'm just doodling around with some AC/DC. On this one i didn't try to copy his sound at all. I just plugged in and played it with my VH settings for the hell of it. I was bored over here and felt like making a quick clip. ;D Enjoy!

AC/DC

***Original post link until it shuts down http://www.seymourduncan.com/cgi-bin...num=1078600228

Unseen

Talking

Ahhhh the whole lot of them crunchy clips

Originally posted by Rid
    Ahhhh the whole lot of them crunchy clips

Hey Vhoholic........sweet tone!!!!!! Have you ever messed with your 5150 combo far as pulling the tubes? Thinking of trying a weber mass with mine since my neighbors are not fond of my volume at 3! I'd like to hear what this amp can do with the post past 5!...ever tried a attenuator with yours?? Right now my tone is thin and fizzy......so I switch to my rhythm for more bottom yet the fizz is still there in the upper regions. Any suggestions or comments regarding the mass unit???

Originally posted by lizzard65
    Hey Vhoholic........sweet tone!!!!!! Have you ever messed with your 5150 combo far as pulling the tubes? Thinking of trying a weber mass with mine since my neighbors are not fond of my volume at 3! I'd like to hear what this amp can do with the post past 5!...ever tried a attenuator with yours?? Right now my tone is thin and fizzy......so I switch to my rhythm for more bottom yet the fizz is still there in the upper regions. Any suggestions or comments regarding the mass unit???
    Thanks lizzard! I've pulled tubes on my Marshalls but never on my 5150. I never really had to. To me it sounds great at any volume, even when i have it really low. I never used an attenuator on it either. About the Mass unit, all i hear is good things about it. That and the THD Hotplate. All the comments i've heard about them have been in use with a Marshall though. All i can say is give it a try and see if you like it. It might end up sounding incredible! You never know

Thanks brother! Ed used an old marshall for most of his career as I'm sure you know. Now comparing that old brown tone overdriven marshall to my 5150.......no freagin comparison! The gain is great on this amp but sounds too fizzy for me. I can't dime this puppy like I want..... to really saturate it for that warm..........ugh ugh yeah what you have goin ther VH! Great great tone there man! I'm going to call those folks regarding the mass unit..see what they have to say. Wish me luck on my quest for the brown.

cheers

I've used a hotplate on my 5150 and I totally agree with what VH said...it's not really necessary. To be honest its not really necessary on a lot of MV amps.

J

Originally posted by lizzard65
    Thanks brother! Ed used an old marshall for most of his career as I'm sure you know. Now comparing that old brown tone overdriven marshall to my 5150.......no freagin comparison! The gain is great on this amp but sounds too fizzy for me. I can't dime this puppy like I want..... to really saturate it for that warm..........ugh ugh yeah what you have goin ther VH! Great great tone there man! I'm going to call those folks regarding the mass unit..see what they have to say. Wish me luck on my quest for the brown.

cheers
    Good luck and thanks again bro!

forgot to ask ya, VH..what're you using for that delay/echo? And do you crank the amp up way loud when you record? I'm addicted to those friggin' clips man..lol
    Splawn QR
    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
    George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
    My Gear Pix
    My SPLAWN Clips
    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Ultimate Tone Slacker SoCalSteve's Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed those clips! By the way, where do you set your eq's on your amps?

Originally posted by shreder75
    forgot to ask ya, VH..what're you using for that delay/echo? And do you crank the amp up way loud when you record? I'm addicted to those friggin' clips man..lol
    I use a Cakewalk plugin called Timeworks delay and set it to anywhere between 250 and 300 millisecond delay.

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
    I thoroughly enjoyed those clips! By the way, where do you set your eq's on your amps?
    Thanks SoCalSteve. I use a few different settings. For my 1970 Marshall clips i had the amp set with all controls on 10. On this ac/dc plexi clip my settings are presence-10, bass-a little before 2, mid-10, treble-10, volume-slight bit above 6 but i change them a little here and there for other clips but very slightly. For my 5150 combo i usually use these settings.5150 settings
    You can set the presence lower or higher depending on what pickup your using.

nice
    Guitar:
    2 EBMM Axis Super Sports, EBMM Sub1, Peavey Wolfgang
    Amp:
    EVH 5150III 50Watt>Mesa 4X12
    Effects:
    G-System>ISP G-String>ClinchFX EP-PRE>Stinkbug

Originally posted by Richard
    nice
    Thanks Richard!

Default What effects?

Are you using any effects such as Delay or Tape Echo or something or is that just reverb from the AMP / Plexi?

Thanks
    Tim
    Tim..

Originally posted by DotNetTim
    Are you using any effects such as Delay or Tape Echo or something or is that just reverb from the AMP / Plexi?

Thanks
    Tim
    hey Tim. On this clip it's just delay. I used the plugin for Cakewalk and added it afterwards in the mix. The plexi doesn't have any built in effects.

Very nice tone VH.

I hope I will get similar one with my JTM 45, I just wait for a hotplate.
    Do you use an overdrive stomp ?

Originally posted by captain cavman
    Very nice tone VH.

I hope I will get similar one with my JTM 45, I just wait for a hotplate.
    Do you use an overdrive stomp ?
    Thanks captain cavman. No overdrive pedal, just the gain from the amp. I turn it up real loud to drive the tubes and then lower it with a Variac to get that nice overdrive.

Originally posted by VHoholic
    Thanks captain cavman. No overdrive pedal, just the gain from the amp. I turn it up real loud to drive the tubes and then lower it with a Variac to get that nice overdrive.
    The Variac thing is a tip from Ed if I well remember.

You slightly change the voltage to increase the drive , right ?

Originally posted by captain cavman
    The Variac thing is a tip from Ed if I well remember.

You slightly change the voltage to increase the drive , right ?
    Yeah, Ed used it on all the old DLR era records. He may even do it now, not really sure. When i use the variac all i'm really hearing is the volume drop. If it gives it more drive it's only a slight amount imo.

Gotta say I love those clips you always post. If you do any request I would love to hear some old TOOL with/without changing your settings. That would be cool.