Likes Likes:  0

Thread: S. Deco Custom Shop pickups? Pups for LPS

Default S. Deco Custom Shop pickups? Pups for LPS

I am looking to get the perfect PAF style pickup for my LPS, it currently has Antiquities loaded with Alnico V magnets, the bridge pup is about 8.76k and neck is 7.75k. They are real nice pickups but not quite right for me, i have used both the stock and A5 mags. The problem is the mid peak that the bridge pup in has, it makes the pickups have a character that i really dont like, some might call it "nasal" or "chirpy" etc. It bugs me for leads and for cleans mostly. So im looking for a PAF style pickup that is hotter than a 59' or Seth, but doesnt have that mid peak and has more of a natural voicing in the mids yet has a more aggressive 59' type sound. I really am not a big fan of the Custom 5, so the only other thing i can think of is the S. Decos. Can someone tell me about these? Both the A5 and A2 versions and both winds. I don't have a problem with pickups with mids, just when the mids have that character...

Thanks
    Last edited by Maximusgordon 2.0; 03-18-2004 at 11:15 PM.
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Have ya looked at a Custom??? or maybe a JB ????
    Only The Strong Survive

Steve_R

The Deco2 10k neck pickup is very sweet and balanced. It is round but glassy. It's very responsive to fingering.

I did a tune called S Blue with the Deco2 neck pickup in a Les Paul at http://www.soundclick.com/270left

I don't know about the bridge pickup.

I know what you mean about the "character" sound. I have tried several Duncan pickups. I have not heard a bad one, but the styles are not all for me either.

Steve_R,

Great clips.

Would you be able to compare them to a Custom Custom or a 8.50k antiquity? Thanks in advance.
    Guitars:

1. Gibson 57 Reissue with antiquity humbuckers
    2. Gibson Studio (winered) with Pearly Gates set

Amp:

I. Marshall JCM2000 DSL401