Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Robbiedbee's Avatar

Default Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

I have a little trouble with my pinky. I can ascend a scale fine...

1 2 3 4 (next string - A) 1 2 3 4 (next string - D) etc

But going down is my problem.

4 3 2 1 (next string - B) 4 3 2 1 (next string - G) etc

It doesn't move entirely independent of my ring finger. It's a pain. I believe I am getting there though.

I started playing stuff like the Hallowed be thy Name riff with my index, middle and pinky fingers to get it toughened up.
    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

the little one is always causing trouble lol

Ultimate Tone Slacker JammerMatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbiedbee View Post

4 3 2 1 (next string - B) 4 3 2 1 (next string - G) etc
    I have no problem going down :. But, that 4 3 2 1 is difficult for me also. I have to go very SLOW to get everthing to sound right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

i have a slight problem on exercise #26, when i descend, my fingers start to get tangled up at higher speeds lol.
    only on the descending part though. i need more control for that kind of stuff. loving the book so far though. but need WAY more time with it

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

This is a long-haul group project. Keep that in mind. I'm not expecting to be getting through this in a few weeks or a few months.

We're pushing and encouraging each other. That's how I see this. No competition, just self-improvement with peers to help us keep going and keep the spirit up.

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

this is all about competition... just with good intent, not a spitting contest.

Guys, on the parts where you are getting tangled, slow it down and go over it at a nice slow pace. Repitition trains your fingers, if you keep it at speed and keep going over the same thing making the same mistakes, you are training your fingers to make that mistake. If you slow it down and go over it correctly, you are training them to do it right, you will gain speed much faster by starting slow. I know, it's hard, but it does work.

Go around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    Guys, on the parts where you are getting tangled, slow it down and go over it at a nice slow pace. Repitition trains your fingers, if you keep it at speed and keep going over the same thing making the same mistakes, you are training your fingers to make that mistake. If you slow it down and go over it correctly, you are training them to do it right, you will gain speed much faster by starting slow. I know, it's hard, but it does work.
    duh... that's basicaly the essence of this book. do it at the speed you make zero mistakes and do it two million times.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Robbiedbee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Go around it.
    Well I can go fast if I played

3 3 2 1, 3 3 2 1

Shifting my ring finger down a fret after the first note, but that would be cheating
    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    This is a long-haul group project. Keep that in mind. I'm not expecting to be getting through this in a few weeks or a few months.

We're pushing and encouraging each other. That's how I see this. No competition, just self-improvement with peers to help us keep going and keep the spirit up.

- Keith
    Word up, bro. I'm figuring at LEAST a year on this project. I am in competition with nobody but myself and my personal limitations.

I had the chance to play ALOT yesterday - about 3 hours worth. I went through both sets making some progress on each. I tell you what, today I got up and my hands are tired. Not sore like they're hurt or anything, but just tired like the next day after you've spent alot of time at the gym or running or something.

I want to equate this to the same thing that happens when you work with weights or any other physical endeavor. It's the means by which your body gets stronger - by progressively stressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    i have a slight problem on exercise #26, when i descend, my fingers start to get tangled up at higher speeds lol.
    only on the descending part though. i need more control for that kind of stuff. loving the book so far though. but need WAY more time with it
    Davey, that has got to be the toughest exercise I've run up against so far. I have the same problem. Ascending I can get some decent speed and clarity, but descending it's like 1/3rd the speed or even less. I considered bypassing it, going with the "if I don't like it" thinking. But, then I decided that I'll never fix the problem (pinky-ring finger independence) unless I hit it head on. Since my hands are so ragged out today, perhaps I'll spend tonight's session working on that one since my hands aren't moving so fast anyway. A chance to really slow down, break it apart into smaller movements, and focus on it.

You rarely ever pull out a chromatic run since they sound so academic, but I think it might be key to working out the pinky/ring problem.
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Repitition trains your fingers, if you keep it at speed and keep going over the same thing making the same mistakes, you are training your fingers to make that mistake. If you slow it down and go over it correctly, you are training them to do it right, you will gain speed much faster by starting slow. I know, it's hard, but it does work.
    I read a book by Jamie Andreas, and those are almost his exact words. I believe every letter of it as it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately of course, after playing for several years I have many bad habits that have become perfectly natural and need to be undone.

And yes, it's very difficult. To us metalheads, speed reigns supreme, and it is very difficult to not see much progress happening from day to day - thus the support group.

Quote Originally Posted by JammerMatt View Post
    You rarely ever pull out a chromatic run since they sound so academic, but I think it might be key to working out the pinky/ring problem.
    i think so too. and the ones at the beginning too, when you skip fingers and do diferent combinations. they stress out your finger independence, which is great

wish i had these books when i started, cos i picked up way too many bad speed habbits. in turn, i DID develop a pretty good right hand technique as far as picking goes, but the left hand is trained in these weird positionings and ****.. crappy.. though i find myself using scales more often, due to the gilbert videos
    Last edited by Davey; 01-28-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    duh... that's basicaly the essence of this book. do it at the speed you make zero mistakes and do it two million times.
    Well, if you are having problems... Sometimes it is painful, and some things are harder to play slow than fast. But, 2 million is probably a bit much

I've had the book for about 10 years, dug it out to go back through it since you guys started talking about it. I haven't been playing much for the last few years, so I'm glad this book came up. It'll help me get back in shape.

Did anybody get his HM Lead Guitar books too?

Well, if you are having problems... Sometimes it is painful, and some things are harder to play slow than fast. But, 2 million is probably a bit much

I've had the book for about 10 years, dug it out to go back through it since you guys started talking about it. I haven't been playing much for the last few years, so I'm glad this book came up. It'll help me get back in shape.

I have both HM lead guitar books. Started out with the second because that's th one they had in the shop. It makes you jump a few levels. Fast.

I got the speed mechanics book and the first lead guitar book.

- Keith
    I am just jug the merlot

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    I got the speed mechanics book and the first lead guitar book.

- Keith
    yea, me too

Well I can go fast if I played

3 3 2 1, 3 3 2 1

Shifting my ring finger down a fret after the first note, but that would be cheating
    LOL sorry dude I was making a really dumb dirty joke. Forgive me. I have the Stetina book but I've been on Gambale and Fujita DVDs.

I should join you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

you're not supposed to stop on any or progress through the book IMO

exercises 1-8 for example, i will do for the rest of my life every day. there's no "mastering" them so to speak, it's simply like weight lifting.. exercise for the fingers

The great classical composer/pianist Robert Schumann once said, "Let [J.S. Bach's] 'The Well-Tempered Clavier' be your daily bread. Then you will certainly become a solid musician."

Practicing the exercises in this book should be along the same lines. I'm not saying this book is on par with Bach's "The Well-Tempered Clavier" -- and if you haven't heard this collection of Bach works, check it out -- but as a set of exercises, it's something to go back to day after day. Even the greatest NBA stars still practice their free throws every day.

- Keith
    I am just jug the merlot