Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Ultimate Tone Slacker JammerMatt's Avatar

Default Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

That exercise is tough for me, also. Mine sounds pretty close to yours in terms of both speed and accuracy, but you've done an interesting variation which is cool.

Davey, when you are doing that exercise do you bring both the pinky and first finger down to the fretboard at the same time after the open note, or do you bring them down one after the other? I wish I could bring them down at the same time, but I cannot, I end up doing sort of a rocking motion (one finger on board at a time), which I think is slowing me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

i have no idea really..

when i do it slow, i do it one finger at a time, when i speed it up, to where it still sounds like something, i think i bring both of them down at about the same time, but to be 100% sure, you'd have to film it with a high speed camera and slow it down hehe..

now THAT would be so cool to be able to do.. cos when you'd review your finger motions slowed down, you could exactly pin point your mistakes and flaws...
    but lets not daydream here lol

Quote Originally Posted by disturb View Post
    Exercise #34 is such a simple one, but it gives me constant trouble. I find it very hard to play quickly, while being smooth, clean and fluid. How are you guys with it?
    I reviewed that one tonight. Anything chromatic is gonna be a beyotch. I'll check back wit' ya on that one in March - it's the 4-3-2-1 that gets me every time - mush.
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Dudes, I was able to bump 'em all up 4 to 6 bpm tonight. Progress - yess.

man, i only work with 10bpm increments

:fing25:

lol
    good on ya though

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    man, i only work with 10bpm increments

:fing25:

lol
    good on ya though
    Dude, I'm talking 4 bpm - American. With the current exchange rate, that's about 10 Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by JammerMatt View Post
    Dude, I'm talking 4 bpm - American. With the current exchange rate, that's about 10 Euro.

Some days you stink it up, some days you don't. Tonight, I didn't. Moving up the ol' metronome on all exercises. I might even meet my goals by the end of Feb.

How're the rest of y'alls doing?

****ty ... dont practice as much as i intended to. too much **** going on and i frickin hate it!!!

and i still dont have the PS.. might have it wednesday, so everything is pretty pointless, since i can only move up in speed, train my fingers, then be out of synch again, when i get the drum machine to work again.

though i have to say i have zero problems with my right hand. i have to un-teach my left and start from scratch, so at least half is pretty decent

but #15 is majorly ****ing pissing me off!!!! but only the first part... the 431 314 142 421 THAT finger doesnt and doesnt want to fret. 75% of the time my ring finger comes down
    Last edited by Davey; 02-18-2007 at 04:13 AM.

Question Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

What are you guys talking about??? What is this "Speed Mechanix" and why all the hype? Is this for newbie shredders or something?

Why would anyone need more than the carl culpepper or troy stetina books?

I figure if you can't learn to shred with one of those books, you might as well stick to playing Green Day or something

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

We're following the Troy Stetina books.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Dudes, I was doin' great tonight. Then... the two large Crown and Waters caught up to me... amazing what a little alcohol will do to your timing ptthhhthththth!!!

looks like i wont have the power supply till at least friday =/

soo.. why dont you guys post at what BPM you can fly through the exercises? i know my timing sucks BIGTIME.. and i mean literaly.. i practicaly have no concept of triplets, sextuplets, quarter/eight notes bla bla.. (i mean playing vise.. i know what they mean :P )

looks like i wont have the power supply till at least friday =/

soo.. why dont you guys post at what BPM you can fly through the exercises? i know my timing sucks BIGTIME.. and i mean literaly.. i practicaly have no concept of triplets, sextuplets, quarter/eight notes bla bla.. (i mean playing vise.. i know what they mean :P )
    I'll get my stats up. Maybe try to record something - it'll suck, but it's all in the family, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JammerMatt View Post
    I'll get my stats up. Maybe try to record something - it'll suck, but it's all in the family, right?
    yea, lets 'keep it in the family tree'

got everything hooked up yesterday..

conclusion..

i suck!

i had to start with the chromatic runs @ 75bpm, if i wanted to keep the timing without ANY mistakes. so basically.. everything i done in the past few weeks was for naught. SUCKAGE!!!!

oh well.. gotta keep at it. was able to bump them 10 - 25 bpm in a while though, as fast as i got used to the timing.. it's hella boring, but at least it goes somewhat.
    bad thing is, i got to start from square effin one

Not to fear. My chromatics SUCK. Suck so bad that I haven't even tried it with a metronome - still trying just to get my fingers to work on the Chromatics. Spent most of my time with the trilling, ho/po and the alternate picking exercises since they suit my style better. But hey, a few more days and I get to move onto the next couple a pages - alternate picking while changing strings - yeah! I'll probably stick with the HO/PO and trilling exercises for a few more weeks though, since I'm still not happy with how those are going for me.

Last night took a break from practicing, since I was already three drinks along by the time I got home and no way could've played with the metronome. I learned two new tunes instead: Runnin with the Devil, and Panama since I picked up the book a few weeks ago. Not the solos, but just the tunes. Through the Splawn in 1st Gear it sounds killer (though I do not.) That amp was just made for that kind of play.

i'm gonna keep at it for a few days. the chromatics and the thrill exercises. gotta run with the metronome with the ho/po exercises cos my timing sucks bad.. especially on those.

edit:
    upon further review of the book, and spending time with rythm notations, i see where i did "wrong" .. AND that i am doing better than i though.. cos i thought i'm just playing quarter notes :P (like i said.. i had no concept of this before, due to my limited actual playing experience)

trying to play sixteenth notes right off the bat @ 135bpm is a touch hard to do
    i got most of the chromatics up to 110 though (16th notes) just the frickin 4th exercise is giving me a headache and doesnt want to move from 90bpm.

#12 i got to 120bpm (16th notes)
    #15 is a little bit of a pain, cos triplets give me a headache.. they feel kinda unnatural, so i gotta work on it
    #25 i got to.. 135bpm .. or thereabouts.. need to kick it up a notch and get it to 160 (all 16th notes .. am i crazy? you betcha )

the rest move around 90-110 bpm (yes.. also 16th notes :P lol)
    Last edited by Davey; 02-25-2007 at 06:45 AM.

ben gave me a KILLER exercise yesterday. it's for finger speed, control and stamina. do this when your hands are well warmed up, cos it strains the wrist and finger muscles like no other exercise i have tried till now.

Code:
    e|---------------------1-2-3-2----------------------------
    B|-----------------1-2---------3-2------------------------
    G|-------------1-2-----------------3-2--------------------
    D|---------1-2-------------------------3-2----------------
    A|-----1-2---------------------------------3-2------------
    E|-1-2-----------------------------------------3-2--------
    the kicker is, you work on it with pairs (fingers of course) index/middle, middle/ring, ring/pinky
    when you go up and then down the neck, start with string skipping E->D; A->G; etc etc
    when you are done with that and your hand hasnt fallen off yet, do it diagonaly, each string move up one fret. starting on the 1st fret E string, you should end up on the 11th fret E string, after the final pull off. then start on the 12th fret e string and go the other way

enjoy

ben gave me a KILLER exercise yesterday. it's for finger speed, control and stamina. do this when your hands are well warmed up, cos it strains the wrist and finger muscles like no other exercise i have tried till now.

Code:
    e|---------------------1-2-3-2----------------------------
    B|-----------------1-2---------3-2------------------------
    G|-------------1-2-----------------3-2--------------------
    D|---------1-2-------------------------3-2----------------
    A|-----1-2---------------------------------3-2------------
    E|-1-2-----------------------------------------3-2--------
    the kicker is, you work on it with pairs (fingers of course) index/middle, middle/ring, ring/pinky
    when you go up and then down the neck, start with string skipping E->D; A->G; etc etc
    when you are done with that and your hand hasnt fallen off yet, do it diagonaly, each string move up one fret. starting on the 1st fret E string, you should end up on the 11th fret E string, after the final pull off. then start on the 12th fret e string and go the other way

enjoy
    Davey, are those HO/POs?