Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Default Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The only other advice I can give you is to concentrate on relaxing when you practice, tension slows down the process, from the picking to the muscle memory.
    indeed.
    i find if i stiffen up or think about what i am doing, i make mistakes, but when i let the fingers play the song themselves, i am much faster and much more precise and fluid.

i think about it when i learn the licks and go really slow to dissect the picking and finger positions, then i build up speed. when it gets to higher speeds, i just let the hands to their work

Ultimate Tone Slacker JammerMatt's Avatar

Perhaps I should be drinking more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Dudes, just to resurrect the thread.

I haven't given up the quest. I just had to take about a two-month... err three-month detour. I hit up on a few technique problems that needed to get worked out before I moved on. As I'm a slow learner with limited time, it has taken some effort. Hopefully, look for me to hit the books again in August.
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Was this thread with the Troy Stetina book? If so, that was the book that made me realize I'd never be a speed player and pushed my back in the direction of Gilmour and Page. I should bust that book back out, I haven't looked though it in 6+ years.

Good bump JM, i've been thinking of bumping this thread as well. i did put the book off for a bit but now i'm getting back into it and am once again focusing energy on trying to work on my recording skills at the same time, if anything just to help me see what areas i need to work on.

pf...yeah, this is the speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina, and yes, i also get the feeling i don't got what it takes to be a speed player, but i have noticed my skills and speed are both improving, so i will be sticking with it. I also see more books by him in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Was this thread with the Troy Stetina book?
    You got it, bro. I'm not what you'd call naturally gifted, so these mechanics things are hard. But, nothing worth doing right was ever very easy. I'm old, and getting too old to keep on sucking.

-Matt

Good to see you back in the fold Wendell.

Is it too late to join this, err, book-group-thing? I've realized I really want to increase the speed in my lead playing, at least get it up to Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Van Halen speed, right now I'm around Paul Kossoff/Solo Clapton speed. And from reading this thread, this book sounds like the kind of regimented course that I could really use. So, tell me guys, will it help?
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

never too late to join. if you really stick with it and put the right effort into it, you should obtain great results.

I'm only on page 20 or something. No worries. This is a self-paced home study course.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Robbiedbee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
    Is it too late to join this, err, book-group-thing? I've realized I really want to increase the speed in my lead playing, at least get it up to Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Van Halen speed, right now I'm around Paul Kossoff/Solo Clapton speed. And from reading this thread, this book sounds like the kind of regimented course that I could really use. So, tell me guys, will it help?
    It's not at all too late. Pick it up whenever you can, it's really really useful. Good luck with it bro

See if we can't get this thread up and running again.
    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Well, I busted it out tonight, I go up to around #8 and that kicked my butt. All at like 80bpm, of course. I've really gotten bad since college! I think I'm going to try to dedicate an hour a night to good practice for a month, using this book as a course. I've been stuck in the "play the same thing" rut whenever I pick up the guitar, this should definately get me thinking in a different direction.

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Nearly two years later…How's everyone doing with this?

To give you an indication of where I'm at, I totally forgot I had these books. Yay me.

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Interesting stuff.

Where can I get a copy of this book?

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Cool...Thanks.

I was thrown off by the "X" at the end of MechaniX on the thread title and got lost.