Do you need something just a little bit special from your pickup but not anything that requires the full Seymour Duncan Custom Shop treatment? If so, there are plenty of little customization that you can request when you order a regular pickup through your preferred dealer. Called Shop Floor Custom, this service lets you tweak various aspects of your pickup order and we’ll make it on the regular shop floor, just for you, alongside our regular production pickups. It’s a handy option if you want something a little unique for your guitar.
Say you want a JB humbucker with no logo for some reason? Or a ’59 with a logo? Differently-colored pickup bobbins (say, blue and pink, or yellow and red, or black and bright green)? Easy! Just tell your dealer which order you’d like the colored bobbins to be in. For instance “I’d like a Full Shred bridge with a red coil on the bridge side and an orange coil on the neck side, and a Full Shred neck with a yellow coil on the bridge side and a green one towards the neck.” You might want the colors of your favorite sports team, or maybe your band has a whole color palette going on and you all dress in black and green.
Or say you love the SH-55 Seth Lover model but you don’t like that the authentic spec calls for the pickup to not be wax-potted. You can request your Seth set to be potted to eliminate feedback and microphonics, and then you can crank it up and take advantage of that pickup’s clarity and crunch at volumes that would be tricky to control with a regular unpotted one.
What about pickup covers? Yup. Want a JB in gold, nickel, chrome, black nickel or black chrome? You can have that. There’s even a new black matte powder coat cover option. Pretty much all of our uncovered pickups can be ordered with covers, and most of our usually covered pickups can be ordered without covers.
You can even change the conductor wire from standard: you can order four-conductor hookup wire on a pickup that normally comes with single (so you can do more advanced wiring setups like series/parallel, coil-split or out-of-phase) or vice versa.
Here’s a list of what’s available.
1. Logo/no logo. Includes mini humbuckers
2. Bobbin color. For standard-spaced humbuckers only. You can choose from any combination (except Double Crème) or single color from the following: Black, White, Crème, Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Pink, Yellow, Green.
3. Covers. Where applicable, a cover may be added to pickups or the color of the cover can be changed. Options are Nickel, Chrome, Gold, Black Nickel, Black Chrome, and Powder coated Black. For calibrated sets of Stratocaster pickups, cover colors can be changed.
4. Lead wire. You can elect to change a 4-conductor cable to single conductor cable and vise versa on full size and mini humbuckers only.
5. Bottom plate. On standard spaced humbuckers you can choose long or short legs. Or you can choose a black bottom plate.
6. Wind/polarity. You can choose reverse-wound/reverse-polarity (Rw/Rp) or other on applicable models. For instance, STR-1 Rw/R or OEM 59 RP.
7. Magnet Stagger. Flat/Staggered and Lefty Staggered options on Strat and Tele models where applicable.
8. Pole Pieces. You can choose between Gold, Nickel or Black poles and Studs, or White, Black or Gold cap screws for Invaders.
9. Loaded Pickguard Colors. These come stock in White but Black is an option too!
10. Wax Potting. You can order wax potted Seth Lovers to eliminate microphonics.
11. Single coil bottom plates. Oval vs. V bottom plates for single coils.
12. Single coil spacing. You can order narrow spacing Strat pickups for PT Cort.
If you have a special Shop Floor Custom request, contact your local Seymour Duncan dealer and let them know what you’re after and they can special-order it for you.
If your vision for your guitar isn’t listed here, check out the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop, where you can request further changes built upon an existing model or specify something completely unique.